Thread: Banana Beer
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2017, 08:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lau

Zone: 10
Name: Susan Lau
BananaBucks : 77,343
Said "Thanks" 9,337 Times
Was Thanked 948 Times in 343 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 624 Times
Default Banana Beer

I have an unknown old banana plant in my backyard that produces wonderful bananas. I get two or three bunches each year. I have so many bananas each year I thought I would make beer out of a few. This unknown plant (Banana Beer Plant) made the best beer. I ran out of the beer quick and everyone who tried it really liked it and wanted more. On the second and third batch I used Namwah bananas and another unknown small plants bananas. Below is the Recipe just change the fruit. Wish me luck on the two batches I just made. The beer should be ready to try on Sunday.

Susan

Ingredients:

Below are pictures of the 6.0 pounds of Malt Extract (Briess Wheat LME)
1 ounce of Hops (E.K. Goldings)
2 1/2 to 3 pounds of mashed bananas
Safale S-05 Yeast
Ferment at 67-70 Degrees F.

Directions:

Bring 3 1/2 gallons of water to a boil. Turn off heat and add all the Malt Extract, stirring to mix and dissolve thoroughly. Bring back to a rolling boil, and add the hops. This is to remain at an active boil for a full 60 minutes. (You can add Hops directly to the boil or use a Mesh Bag or Hop Spider.) At the last 10 Minutes of the boil add the mashed bananas. At the end of the boil cool the Wart (Beer Mixture) to 70 to 75 degrees, and add to the fermenter. Add cold water to make 5 gallons. Pitch the yeast, aerate and seal the fermenter. Add the air lock and ferment at 67-70 degrees F for 14 days. Prior to transferring mixture to bottling bucket boil 3/4 cup of corn sugar (dextrose) in two cups of water. Cool for several minutes and add to the bottling bucket. Transfer the beer, and mix well to incorporate the dextrose. Store bottles and allow to condition and carb up for 10 days minimum.

Lau is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Lau
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors