View Single Post
Old 04-13-2017, 11:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
bananatech

Zone: 9A
BananaBucks : 2,499
Said "Thanks" 10 Times
Was Thanked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 21 Times
Default Re: Pollinating chili peper plants

You're welcome. I've included a Youtube video that provides information on pepper pollinating and flower drop. The video demonstrates the shaking method. Hopefully, this will be helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u5UoZIoaWY

I find that peppers/chili's need a fairly open/loose/ medium to grow in. They also need calcium and magnesium. I usually grow mine in Fox Farm's Ocean Forest potting soil. This brand contains Oyster Shell which provides additional calcium for the plant and provides an acidic environment that peppers like. You can also use Bone meal to provide calcium and Epsom salt to provide magnesium. During the height of Summer a spray of 1 tbsp. Epsom salt mixed with 32oz of water (agitate before spraying) can be misted on the tops and bottoms of leaves. Just mist the leaves, you don't want to spray so much that the solution drips off the leaves. Magnesium strengthens the cell walls and prevents blossom end rot on the peppers (yes similar to blossom end rot on tomatoes). Alternately you can just scratch in a tbsp. or two into the plant soil or mix and pour as a root drench.

As mentioned by a previous poster, a tomato type fertilizer should be used for peppers. Peppers and Tomatoes are in the same family, so growing methods are nearly identical.

I also find that if a plant looks sick using a diluted liquid fish emulsion fertilizer will usually perk it up.

Good luck with your Chilis! bananatech is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To bananatech
Said thanks: