View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 08:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
AdotKarl

BananaBucks : 21,424
Said "Thanks" 380 Times
Was Thanked 215 Times in 72 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 926 Times
Default Re: Pollinating chili peper plants

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwmax View Post
These is too many variables not knowing your location. The plant being on a window sill indicates the pot is not big enough, get it in a 5 gal pot. Better, transplant to outside and get it one or two buddies. This plant gets about 5 ft tall as an average; and as tall as 8 ft. I believe the plant is self pollinating, but cross pollen from other like plants still helps. ... Once the plant gets happy, it will set fruit.

For growing info, See How to Grow the Carolina Reaper plant and pepper
Thanks for the reply!
Because I sowed them quite late during the year last year, plus the fact that they have been bunched up in a smaller pot for most of the time, they haven't grown that big yet. They are now 1 foot 'shrubs' with a large amount of foliage and new growth resulting from transplanting them to individual large pots and restarting with a generous fertilizer schedule after winter. That and their warm south facing location must be the reason they're also starting to bloom, so I assume they are quite happy now for the time being. I figure they can at least double in size before I would even need to reconsider larger pots.
Should I keep giving them general-purpose fertilizer while they are blooming, or cut back on that for now?