Thread: Musa basjoo
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2017, 02:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
stepr

BananaBucks : 2,855
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Musa basjoo

I know I'll have eyes rolling at the title of this but;

I'm new just joined primarily because I'm interested in bananas, but also because I have recently made a discovery.

Im an assistant gardener at a botanic gardens in the UK, and in the unheated conservatory, there are 5 stands of Musa basjoo growing, and they have been there a while.. 20 years or more.

I was maintaining the conservatory when I took a close look at the bananas themselves, and discovered they had viable seed in them. So I've sown 100 Musa basjoo seed and it will be very impressive if they germinate.

I realise finding a seeding Musa basjoo is a rarity outside of its natural habitat due to the preferred method of vegetative production of Musa basjoo for the commercial horticulture industry.

Anyway.. I've documented it.. I'll try to attach photos soon.
stepr is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To stepr
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors