View Single Post
Old 01-22-2017, 11:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
edwmax

Zone: 8b
BananaBucks : 88,645
Said "Thanks" 1,741 Times
Was Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,095 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 414 Times
Default Re: Best Practices For Starting Corms in Pots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burris View Post
Of the aforementioned 9 corms in potting soil, 2 are thriving, but they had well established roots to begin with. These others appear pretty much dormant. A couple more show a tiny green sprout.

23 days ago i had shipped in 4 tiny Tissue culture plants from WellSpring Gardens. Dwarf Orinco. They had a small amount of soil around the roots.

I potted 1 in potting soil and 3 i potted in coarse sand. The one put in potting soil is very nearly dead - i doubt it survives. The 3 in potting soil look a wee bit worse for the wear - probably transplant shock. They look like they will be OK.

I live nearby a large river where i am able to easily get clean coarse sand. I'd never used it before, but i like the idea of it.
If the corms have roots, then pot in a soil & sand mix (about 50/50). The soil will hold moisture and nutrients for the plant while the new roots acclimate for plant support.

If the corms do not have roots, then use course sand. This is to keep the corm moist until new roots grow. Then repot to a soil-sand/perlite mix.

The TC's came from a greenhouse environment and were being
misted severally times a day as roots grow. These need to be re-potted in a soil-sand/perlite mix and high humidity and/or mist a couple of times per day until the plant shows signs of new growth.