View Single Post
Old 02-25-2008, 10:34 AM   #16 (permalink)
marco

Zone: 6
Name: marco
BananaBucks : 18,625
Said "Thanks" 2 Times
Was Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: (Not necessarily tropical) trivia question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
I don't know how you say it...but I say it as one.

And to back myself up:
List of Longest Words with One Syllable

' Squirrel ' is correct.....(sorry for the delay...away snowmobiling for the weekend !)

And you'll all curse me...but this was somewhat a trick question !!!

(You can debate this point all day long if you like, Chong.
The English language is an enigma to those who learn it as a 2nd language, I understand !!)

But the fact remains that the word 'squirrel' can actually have two pronunciations, with either one or two syllables !!

(Leaving out the important vowel-stressing "schwas" my Dell keyboard can't reproduce accurately,) the two pronunciation symbols for the word 'squirrel' in the 1985 Second College Edition of the American Heritage Dictionary are skwur and the two-syllable skwur el.

Check the dictionary on your shelf if you'd like !

Try this...
Put a flattened hand no more than 1/2 " under your chin, and say the word 'squirrel' the way you've said it all your life.

I'd bet that 85-90% of the people on this thread have their chin hit their hand
only once.

(P.S....I'm a "boomer", and I, and almost everyone I've ever run in to in this region say 'squirrel' in one syllable.)
marco is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To marco

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors