View Single Post
Old 01-03-2017, 07:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
edwmax

Zone: 8b
BananaBucks : 88,777
Said "Thanks" 1,741 Times
Was Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,095 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 414 Times
Default Re: Caring for my TC Gros Michel

Banana plant seem to grow much faster when planted outside. In your area, I suggest planting the banana so it will have shade from direct hot sunlight. Watch the angle of the sun and ground shaded areas during the hot season; and the open ares during the cooler winter months. If possible locate the plant in the cooler areas with hot season shade.

Slowly reduce the humidity of the new TC plants to that of the room as the plant shows grow. This should only that 2 or 3 weeks. Then just mist the leaves. ... I have found that my bigger potted DC banana plants are doing better inside with daily misting. ... This is a natural function of the large leaves of tropical plants to collect dew during drier weather. So I will be looking to install sprinklers (misting ??) at my outdoor banana patches next year.

A benefit of planting TC plants that has not yet been publicly exploited is to seasonally plant new plants to grow fruit each year. TC plantlets (98% success) are reported to grow to fruiting in 10 months vs 12 to 14 months of sucker plants. With timing, this would make it possible to plant bananas like a garden in milder areas of the US for fruit production. ... just my opinion; I will be testing this out for the next couple of years.

good luck with your plants and keep the forum posted as to your progress.

Last edited by edwmax : 01-03-2017 at 07:27 AM.
edwmax is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To edwmax
Said thanks: