Thread: Sick Keikis?
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2017, 08:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Gardener808

BananaBucks : 2,347
Said "Thanks" 33 Times
Was Thanked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Sick Keikis?

You are spot on with your sunburn diagnosis. There's not much shade on my property, which is one reason I planted Bananas.

Thanks for the tip on the nutrients. I'll focus on Nitrogen for the young ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwmax View Post
1st picture the edges of the leaves are browning; and the tip and edge of the sword leaf is clearly browning. ... This is most likely sunburning due to being transplanted from nursery shade to full sunlight. Bananas don't like high temperature (high 90's & 100's F) & hot sun.

2nd picture shows insect damage and leaf edge browning. Again the browning is likely sunburn. And, the insect are visible on the pstem.

These plants are in the vegetative growth stage. They need Nitrogen (N) for green growth; Phosphorus (P) for root development: and potassium (K) for fruit & root growth is not critical, but should be increased as the plant nears fruiting height.

May be this reference can help a little,
Banana Plant Care for Brown Leaf Edges | Home Guides | SF Gate

A'ea'e, Apple (dwarf & tall), Berry (Mysore), Dwarf Cavendish, Coccinea, Cuban red (dwarf), Goldfinger, Ice cream (Java blue), Kluay khai, Kru, Nam Wah, Musa Ornata (Bronze, Lavender, Purple, White), Praying Hands, Rajah, Musa Velutina, Musa Zebrina
Gardener808 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Gardener808