View Single Post
Old 08-02-2016, 01:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
meizzwang

Zone: 9b
BananaBucks : 69,680
Said "Thanks" 647 Times
Was Thanked 1,032 Times in 218 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Are these the future bananas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by figafita View Post
OH, i am soooo disappointed.... About 3 years ago I lost my ice cream banana and a member gifted me 'he said' an ice cream banana. I was so happy and baby it for the last 3 years thinking it was a fruiting banana. I am growing it in pot so i do not need a landscape banana. What a disappointment after all this time.
Many of us share your pain! To recap. what many others have said on this forum, the banana world is filled with similar stories. A lot of the big TC sellers (wellspring gardens, green earth publishing, Florida Hill Nursery, etc) are notorious for consistently selling incorrectly labeled plants. Either the original supplier got it wrong to begin with, or the retailer mixed it up. A well-intended hobbyist will purchase what they think is ice cream, share some pups with their friends, and then years later realize they never had ice cream to begin with. Problem is, their friends have already started to distribute pups too, so the cycle continues. Many varieties are near impossible to get a 100% correct ID without seeing the flower and countless other details (variety dependent). Some can't be ID'ed until you've harvested and tasted a ripe banana from the plant...and even that, you still might not be able to know for sure what you have!

I can't say what happened in your situation because I haven't heard of any of the main original TC suppliers sending M. babisiana in lieu of an edible variety.....

Nice thing is, quite a few members here have solid reputations and multiple posts photo-documenting the varieties they offer to other members, so you can be confident the plant you're receiving is the real deal.

Last edited by meizzwang : 08-02-2016 at 01:33 PM.
meizzwang is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To meizzwang
Said thanks: