View Single Post
Old 07-23-2016, 05:57 PM   #21 (permalink)
hydroid
Minister of Propaganda

Zone: Zone -8b-9a
Name: Bo
BananaBucks : 106,604
Said "Thanks" 775 Times
Was Thanked 729 Times in 329 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 45 Times
Default Re: which banana has the best flavor in your opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meizzwang View Post
I have only one experience with "homegrown" bananas, and it was with a dwarf cavendish. Others on this forum have described the flavor of Dwarf Cavendish as being the same as a store bought banana (ie. don't bother with this variety), but that wasn't even close to what I experienced. I tried one from the UC Davis greenhouse, and it was "vine ripened". Texture was like a regular cavendish, but the flavor had a strong floral and berry undertone to it....just out of this world in terms of flavor! Sadly, I've never been able to fruit it outdoors in zone9b...even after 7 years!

Long story short, aside from personal people's opinions, I believe any cultivar can have different flavor profiles depending on the environment and how it was grown/harvested.
When I lived in Bermuda there were a lot of Dwarf Cavendish it was nothing like a store bought Cavendish, they were the smaller, tastier fruit. Mine struggle along the Gulf Coast just to survive every year. But my Namwah make me look like a "Master Gardener" every year with big bunches of fruit and pretty darn tasty. It's fun to try the different bananas. Here in the Marshall Islands I like the "Mysore" for taste and not real fond of the "Ice Cream".
hydroid is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To hydroid
Said thanks: