Thread: Why not...
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2016, 12:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Snarkie
The Cat Whisperer

Zone: 8b, pushing 9a
Name: D.A. Hänks
BananaBucks : 155,431
Said "Thanks" 1,218 Times
Was Thanked 1,970 Times in 1,145 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,049 Times
Default Re: Why not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noé View Post
Well, I have two directly out front that are maybe 20 feet from the house. And another on the right side of my driveway, that has cracked and raised the driveway.

Two years ago, if memory serves correctly. When we had that bad drought in the midwest with the heat, a storm came through, and with the wind, moved one of the tree's out front enough to snap my main water line entering the house.

I also have another Silver Maple roughly 15-20 feet from the back of the house as well. Don't get me wrong I love tree's in general, however, tree's with such root systems should have been planted far enough away from the house and any concrete slabs.

And speaking of Dawn Redwood. I have one planted in the back field.
As I said, it will affect slabs, as it did in your case. The house should still be okay, unless you get a tornado or some other incredible wind that commits unnatural acts. In that case, all bets are off.

As for the dawn redwood, I would love to hear more about it. Maybe see some pics. I am pretty much the leading authority in the world on that tree, so if you have any questions or concerns, please let me know. Click on the bottom link in my sig and peruse the site. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me via the Contact link. And please, don't cut any branches off! Low branches are what cause the dawn redwood to develop that huge, contorted bole that makes it so unique. From ground level to approximately 7 feet, any branch will cause the tree to grow a huge canker around each branch. That is how the dawn redwood develops that huge, grotesque base.

The Only Eastern Redwood Forest in America

"Nuke my 'nanners, will you?!"
Snarkie is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Snarkie
Said thanks: