Thread: Why not...
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2016, 11:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
Noé

Zone: 6
Name: Chad
BananaBucks : 5,662
Said "Thanks" 12 Times
Was Thanked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: Why not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarkie View Post
It's a shallow root system; it won't hurt the house unless you're on a slab, and if footers were properly poured, it still shouldn't be an issue. I get this question all the time regarding dawn redwoods. Patio slabs and driveways are at risk because they are flat on the ground. A footer will usually act as enough of a barrier because the roots are so shallow.

How far from the house is the tree?

Well, I have two directly out front that are maybe 20 feet from the house. And another on the right side of my driveway, that has cracked and raised the driveway.

Two years ago, if memory serves correctly. When we had that bad drought in the midwest with the heat, a storm came through, and with the wind, moved one of the tree's out front enough to snap my main water line entering the house.

I also have another Silver Maple roughly 15-20 feet from the back of the house as well. Don't get me wrong I love tree's in general, however, tree's with such root systems should have been planted far enough away from the house and any concrete slabs.

And speaking of Dawn Redwood. I have one planted in the back field.
Noé is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Noé