View Single Post
Old 06-06-2016, 06:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
trachcanman99

Zone: 9b
Name: Robert
BananaBucks : 6,565
Said "Thanks" 16 Times
Was Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Glyphosate and bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancrazio View Post
Hey garymc, that you for your input.
The weed i'm talking about is a species of Cyperus, but i'm unsure on wich one.
I was worried about interactions with banana because reading on the instructions for my product, it was stated that some species could show sensitivity even if they do not directly enter in contact with the herbicide. I guess some soil mediated reaction.
Since the area invaded by the weed is heavily invaded, but it is relatively circumscribed, i was thinking to avoid spaying altogether and use a paintbrush to treat the soil surface/weed leaves on a nice warm-dry day. I for sure will have to repeat the treatment, because depending on physiological phase i have noticed that underground organs of plants have sometimes an hard time in being killed by herbicides. Still in cant' wait for autum in case i'm willing to treat it.
something to always remember when spraying any herbicide is it is best to spray on warm days which means it will evaporate and those fumes go up so if your plant is close to the area you sprayed you stand a chance of it burning those leaves. I found this out while answering fruit tree questions at the local ag extension office when a guy sprayed 2-4D under his oak trees in August and the trees started dying. the best way to use for point contact application of herbicides it to put on a glove rated to be used around chemicals then pull a cotton glove over it. Dip that hand into the properly prepared mixture in a wide mouth container. then just lightly grab the weed toward the base and pull up while allowing the plant to slide thru your hand with a slight pressure. This gets the chemical on the under side of the leaves which will enter the plant quicker. It is best to use this approach early in the day before it gets too hot and the leaf reduces the opening in the lower side to reduce loss of moisture. The herbicide you asked about attacks and kills the roots so it goes into the ground where the manufacturer claims it mostly breaks down within 24 hours. there is some debate on this last part about how long it stays active in the ground.