View Single Post
Old 05-22-2016, 03:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
chris_zx2
Sub Zero Tropical Keeper

Zone: 5
Name: Chris
BananaBucks : 16,059
Said "Thanks" 85 Times
Was Thanked 142 Times in 82 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 8 Times
Default Just planted basjoo

I'm in zone 5b and I just planted 2 basjoo. They are about 12" tall and were hardened out in pots. I have clay soil so I dug down about 24" next to the foundation added approximately 6" of sand then a mix of peat moss and composted cow manure then topped it off with cedar mulch and a raised tarp over the whole thing because it's really hot and sunny the next few days.

I have read that planting lower in the ground helps with frost. I planted one plant about 6-8" down and the other normal height. Because the plants are still young and small was it a mistake to plant one low? I removed the small lower leaves and there is about 4" of stem then 4 leaves above the soil. Any issues with that?
chris_zx2 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To chris_zx2
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors