View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008, 10:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
chumleyrobert

Zone: 9-B
Name: Robert
BananaBucks : 70,730
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 43 Times in 25 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Send a message via MSN to chumleyrobert
Default Re: ATTN: Sago Palm growers

Yes , it was reported that there was one case of a dog 's death after drinking some water that cycad seed had be soaking for many days located in New Guinea about 40 years ago. I soak mine for many days before cleaning the outer peeling off the seeds and it smells like it would kill anyone, but I have two dogs and have never worried about it, and I clean thousands of cycad seed every year. I grow over 100 species of cycads......and only three or four species get the "Aulacaspis scale" and it is controlled if you spray a good insecticide every 6 months and spray often with a pressure sprayer. (That's what I do) and I might say very sucessfully.) But there are well over 200 species of cycads that don't get Aulacaspis scale....that you should seriously consider growing. You cannot tell the gender (male or female) of any cycad usually until it gets fully mature and produces a cone........unless you remove a "basil pup" (or sucker) from an older mature cycad that has produced a cone ... then the pup will be an identical clone of the mother plant (male or female) which ever it is. Robert Chumley Chumley Cycads Specializing In Artificially Propagated Cycads
chumleyrobert is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To chumleyrobert
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors