View Single Post
Old 03-19-2016, 09:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Grannycore

Zone: 7b / 8a
BananaBucks : 7,333
Said "Thanks" 48 Times
Was Thanked 80 Times in 30 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 16 Times
Default Re: Dwarf Namwah cold hardiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy banana View Post
Nice experiment and good job documenting it.
I love my "old faithful" reliable dwarf Namwah. Fruits every year and the bunches get bigger every year, too.
It would not surprise me if you will see an inflorescence on your plants soon.
Your experiment is interesting and possibly helpful for other members with marginal climates. One thing to take into consideration though when talking about cold resistance is to look at how long the plant actually was exposed to the cold. Here in San Diego I had four mornings in December with about two hours each were the temperatures dropped to 28F. All my plants looked similar than yours. However, I think if the temperatures would have been that low consistently over a longer period of time (days or day and night), the plants and especially the p-stems would be in worse shape if not completely destroyed.
I completely agree. I left some out this winter as sort of an experiment - I wrapped and bundled three six-foot trees to see what would happen. Our lowest low was 17, but we got extended periods where it was in the twenties, and the only ones with any p-stem survival was dwarf Orinoco and California gold. The other ones were frozen mush to the ground. So our lows weren't substantially different, but I had a significantly longer amount of time below freezing, and it happened repeatedly over 2.5 months. I definitely (and unfortunately) would not have these results.
Grannycore is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Grannycore
Said thanks: