View Single Post
Old 03-13-2016, 10:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
sputinc7

Zone: 9b
Name: Steve
BananaBucks : 101,992
Said "Thanks" 352 Times
Was Thanked 2,430 Times in 971 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 295 Times
Default Re: Fungal issues, I think.

I did a lot of research on Google, and viewed a lot of pictures. I do not have pics of the young plants I had that died, but can tell you how it progressed. The leaf scarring was similar to black sigatoka, which is why I assume it's the culprit. Yellowing along the edges becoming the brown streaking going to the central leaf stem, then leaf death. What seemed weird was how they had 3-4 leaves almost all the time until shortly before death. As soon as a new leaf began emerging, the oldest leaf would be taken over and die, usually by the time the new leaf was fully emerged. These plants were small, 18 inches or less tall. They never had a chance. What is odd as well is that I had a Manzano 15 feet away that I fed and watered equally with the other two which flourished and has had a bunch on it since last Dec.(Which are still immature, is that normal?) It did very well with lots of pups and only about 9 months between planting a foot high sprout to flowering. Didn't even lose it's first leaf until it was about 8 feet high. 2 died and one did exceptional, only about 15 feet apart, all full sun, watered every other day and fertilized the same. Whatever it was, neem oil 2-3x a week seemed to slow it, but it was too little too late.

https://sputinc7.wixsite.com/covwc

Varieties I supposedly bought: Manzano, Cavendish, Blue Java, Sweetheart, and Gros Michel.
What it seems I actually have: Brazilian, Cavendish, Namwah, Dwarf Red, Gros Michel, Pisang Ceylon, Veinte Cohol and SH 3640, and American Goldfinger. FHIA 1, Paggi and FHIA 17... Always room for one more.
sputinc7 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To sputinc7