View Single Post
Old 03-12-2016, 05:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
mushtaq86

Name: Mushtaq
BananaBucks : 67,282
Said "Thanks" 2,706 Times
Was Thanked 819 Times in 380 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 46 Times
Default Re: Please Help, my dwarf Banana is losing leaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious physicist View Post
I got my dwarf cavendish back in September. It had been damaged from the shipping and didn't look like it was going to make it. All its leaves had been bent and soon all of them withered away except for one new leaf.

Plant right after I got in and repotted it.

I nursed it back to health, and planted it in a pot with flower potting soil so it wouldn't be root bound. Over the next couple months it grew 5 new leaves without losing any. I had to take it home over winter break, and I couldn't give it sunlight, but gave it 24 hr artificial light and some fertilizer. It grew very little those six weeks of sitting in the relatively cold basement.

I took it back to college with me, and it seemed to be doing fine for two weeks. It gets roughly 3 hours of direct sunlight every day, and much more indirect sunlight. I keep it at 85 during the day and 65 at night. I water it before it dries out too much, but never enough to cause root rotting. There have been a couple of gnats in my room.

However, it has started to lose leaves. First, it was a leaf that had broken and been sickly for a while. That didn't seem too concerning. However, in the space of 6 hours another leaf went from being parallel to drooping. It withered away shortly thereafter. I was resigned to this being a one off thing, but now it had happened again. This morning the plant looked fine, but when I came back from classes, a third leaf, one of the bottom leaves had dropped again.

The first lost leaf

The second lost leaf

Another view of the second lost leaf

The full plant after losing the first leaf and while losing the second leaf

The full plant today. The leaf dropping will be the third leaf lost

Closeup on the third leaf while being lost

I really want to save this plant. Can any of you experts diagnose what is wrong with it?

Thanks a lot,

curious physicist
Your 85F day temps are the problem, if your only getting 3 hours of sunlight temps should not exceed 65f.You should never have a banana plant next to a radiator.

Last edited by mushtaq86 : 03-12-2016 at 05:47 PM.
mushtaq86 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To mushtaq86