View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 04:15 PM   #42 (permalink)
bigdog

Zone: 8b
Name: Frank
BananaBucks : 730,768
Said "Thanks" 212 Times
Was Thanked 1,787 Times in 502 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 131 Times
Send a message via AIM to bigdog Send a message via MSN to bigdog
Default Re: M. itinerans var. xishuangbannaensis after a few hard frosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
Frank,
What are your lows? You are one whole zone lower than me...It'd be interesting to see the difference it would make. All the best-
Taylor,

Knoxville's airport (TYS), our official recording station, has reached 11F for an absolute minimum low this year, and 12F on another occasion. I am at a higher elevation than TYS, and in a bit of a valley on the ridge, so I get cold-air drainage in addition to the colder temps from higher elevation. My absolute minimum low has been around 6F (twice), with a couple of 7F mornings also, but my thermometer is not in a good placement. I need to set it up correctly for more accurate temperature readings. I think I'm actually a couple degrees warmer than the temps I've recorded, but still a couple degrees colder than the airport. We are a long-term zone 7a here, really bordering on zone 7b. The last five winters, assuming we don't reach single digits this winter, have been zone 8a winters. This winter, we've had 2 days (non-consecutive) with a high below freezing, last winter was only one day, and the winter before that we had zero days with a high below freezing.

With bananas, a whole zone makes a huge difference! I mean, they grow Sabal palmettos in VA Beach Taylor, LOL! You guys can grow quite a bit more than I can here.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To bigdog