View Single Post
Old 01-18-2008, 12:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
marco

Zone: 6
Name: marco
BananaBucks : 24,082
Said "Thanks" 2 Times
Was Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Looking for specific information...

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkcube View Post
if you're looking to buy some here is a link:

http://www.biconet.com/soil/rootGrowth.html

most of the research i have seen on its uses has been very non-committal, neither beneficial or harmful.
There's no question in the landscape, nursery and turf industry whether they're beneficial now.

The question has become whether or not they're truly cost-efficient to be utilized on any large scale in many professionals' programs for their clients; while still enabling the buisiness owners to be competitive in bid processes.

The link you displayed, inkcube, is a 'general purpose' mycorr package containing BOTH "endo" AND "ecto" spores...
I wouldn't waste the money for this product on tropicals...but it would be nice overall for moving 'normal' plants around in your yard and garden.
And it keeps for 2 years in the fridge, supposedly.

Someone interested in using mycorrhiza spores for starting any tropicals, including increasing the survival % of banana pups, would have to find a source of endo mycorrhiza by itself, for the best value for the dollar.

I don't have any stock in this company or anything, but this order page shows 8 types of "endo". You can get it in regular sized, or a spayable "micronized" form :
http://www.bio-organics.com/Mycorrhizae_Products.html

But keep in mind that mycorr needs to have a "host plant" at all times.
Either that or it needs to be occasionally re-applied, because it needs 'active'
root systems to attach itself to to enable itself to perpetuate.

So...in theory...even a 'cover crop' of sprouts, or something akin to that, could suffice growing on the soil that you would normally grow bananas in, but for some reason are not using at the time.....just an idea!

I'm just kind of shocked it's not been discussed on bananas.org AT ALL...even as a 'theory'.

Last edited by marco : 01-18-2008 at 12:24 AM.
marco is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To marco
Said thanks:
Sponsors