View Single Post
Old 01-16-2016, 11:35 AM   #18 (permalink)
geosulcata

Zone: 9-10
BananaBucks : 57,921
Said "Thanks" 189 Times
Was Thanked 444 Times in 116 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 4 Times
Default Re: Banana corm weevils destroying my banana plants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas Naranja View Post
Yes, Imidicloprid is systemic. It will kill the weevils, control scales, aphids, and whiteflies. I don't like using it, but I also don't like seeing hundreds of dollars of fruit laying on the ground. In Florida we have both Cosmopolites sordidus and Metamasius hemipterus.
We continue to avoid Imidicloprid, but again, I haven't seen anything that looks like weevil damage with our bananas other than one potted banana received that was quickly destroyed. I know growers up here that use Imidicloprid to kill the Sri Lankan weevils. We go out daily and shake the lychees and break the heads off the sri lankans or drop them in alcohol. That won't work should we have issues with banana weevils though.

Has anyone down there tried beneficial nematodes? A grower near us no longer has issues with Sri Lankans or Diaprepes after using beneficial nematodes (it is expensive though). Some growers are now having issues with Imidicloprid resistant sri lankans.

We lost 4 of our honeybee hives last year. I don't see us trying Imidicloprid (or any pesticide) any time soon.
geosulcata is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To geosulcata
Said thanks: