View Single Post
Old 11-16-2015, 01:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
PR-Giants
Commercial Grower

BananaBucks : 3,832
Said "Thanks" 2,900 Times
Was Thanked 12,461 Times in 3,620 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 3,204 Times
Default Re: My 1st experience with corms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gala View Post
Thanks guys. The potting mix is MG for cactus/citrus mix + perlite + vermiculite + some of earthworm castings. I should add some sand but didn't have it when corms arrived. So I agree with Keith it is not loose enough. I didn't water them since they were planted so the soil is moist not too wet. I cut the dead parts this morning but I am not sure if this way is OK.

Should I keep them in shade or move to partial sun (morning sun)? And, should I add some sand to the soil or leave as it is?
Your plant will probably be fine, but I just prefer not to take unnecessary risks.

Soil aeration is important for all cleaned corms but it is very important for the Manini. Most other corms can easily tolerate a less than optimum level without rotting, but not the Manini. I use a specific size range of clean coarse sand to achieve these levels and it should be noted that all sand is not the same. Earthworm castings are terrible, they adversely affect soil aeration and should never be used during the initial stage but would be tolerable after the plant has roots and leaves.

I prefer to peel away and then cut the dead leaf sheaths as opposed to doing it in place. The cuts that damaged the inner sheaths will now rot a little sooner but should not become a problem.

PR-Giants Photo Gallery

15,000+ Varieties

PR-Giants is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To PR-Giants
Said thanks: