View Single Post
Old 11-15-2015, 11:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
siege2050
Hobby obsessor maximus

Zone: zone 7
BananaBucks : 361,560
Said "Thanks" 854 Times
Was Thanked 1,295 Times in 614 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 85 Times
Default Re: Banana Trees turning brown and leaning. Is this normal for winter?? Help I'm ne

Yes, they do look like my Orinoco. Mine naturally have some leaf yellowing each year, just like that as temps and light levels start to drop. Dont dig up the stump and throw it away, as the banana stem dies after fruiting, it will produce more pups/babies from this stump. Just cut it off a bit above the ground after the fruits ripen to make it tidy, and new pups will sprout from these. Last spring I threw a few pieces of one of these stumps that I had cut into chunks, and that did not appear to have any growing points or eyes at all, into the woods next to my yard. While digging up my bananas to store for winter last month, I noticed little 1 foot banana plants growing out in the woods in deep oak leaves where I threw these chunks of the stump. They were still attached to these shriveled chunks I threw away, and they are now safely growing in front of my living room window in pots. Now I keep all pieces of the underground corm, or rhizome that break off when I dig them, and pot them up to sprout as I am trying to build up my number of plants. The leaning may be due to crowding, as long as they dont start falling over from rot of some sort, but in colder areas they may die down to the ground. If the one that fell over is one that had fruited, that is why it fell. Once a stem fruits it will die, and pups will come up from the base of that stem.

If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any Banana pudding! How can you have any Banana pudding if you don't eat yer meat?!

Click for weather forecast

Last edited by siege2050 : 11-15-2015 at 11:40 AM.
siege2050 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To siege2050
Said thanks: