View Single Post
Old 11-12-2015, 10:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Steppenwolfe

BananaBucks : 18,708
Said "Thanks" 14 Times
Was Thanked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Dwarf Banana Stunted Growth

As the title says, I believe my plant is suffering from stunted growth or even worse death. I have a indoor potted plant which is about 26 inches.

I've had the plant for about a month & a half and within the first week a leaf shot up and unrolled. Very shortly after that, about the 2nd week in october another leaf popped up. It has now been over a month and that leaf is still unraveling as opposed to the first leaf which unraveled in a week.

I ruled out the weather being the cause of the slow growth because two pups have sprouted and have been growing inches a week.

The only thing I can think of is being the cause is over misting.
Around the same time the second leaf was coming up, I started to mist my plant heavily several times a day until there were big droplets on the leaves. I read that when this happens the stomata closes up preventing photosynthesis from taking place. In addition, I read that when the mother plant is stressed she will give everything she has to the pups.

Oh and theres another problem lol. I bought an areca palm about 2 weeks ago and it had a fungus knat infestation. I was able to remove flies but I did notice a fly and a larvae in the soil of my banana plant. I know they feed off roots but I doubt this is the case because the stunted growth was happening prior. Anyway I'm going to dry the soil out so if flies do hatch the soil will be unattractive to them.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm located in NYC.
Steppenwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Steppenwolfe
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors