View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 11:34 PM   #39 (permalink)
microfarmer
Professional Amateur

Zone: CA zone 9b
Name: Senor Excessivo
BananaBucks : 69,134
Said "Thanks" 624 Times
Was Thanked 208 Times in 106 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: how far apart should they be??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicallvr View Post
Yikes. I always wanted a Motorcycle for cheap transport around town, but winters would suck, and storms come out of no where sometimes. Look forward to your updates.

Here's a Dwarf Cavendish field in Nayarit MX. Fast pic taken from passanger side of a pickup. It's at the end of the dry season, and they look pretty worn, but i thought I'd throw a pic at the thread anyways.
Icecube- I'd like to see some pics please(if you got them)!
Those look really short and well spaced. No light competition there. They look to be about 6' tall, & 8' apart.

As for the bike, It's my go to vehicle. I've put 40K miles on this one in 5 years. http://www.pbase.com/conestogaman/image/1488382 It's just so much easier to get around on a bike than in a cage.

I don't mind rain riding, or even rain riding all day, but I need new boots and rain suit. The boots are just plain worn out. I have a nice Kalihari jacket and lowers, well insulated, breathable, and very warm, with thick padding at the elbows, shoulders, spine, hips and knees, but it lets water through.

I also have a very well used up, 18 year old, one piece Vetter rain suit that is rubberized inside (not breathable) and insulated, but it has no padding and is not for crashing in (so to speak), and it lets water thru, somewhere in the sun-don't-shine area. Plus, as an added bonus, after an all day ride your perspiration has nowhere to go, so even if it didn't rain, you are still damp and easily chilled...

One of my most memorable trips was a trip to Death Valley on my old GS in early February '01 with my bro-in-law. We had rain most of the way back.

We went from Sacramento down 99 and cut east at Delano (about 150 miles north of Bakersfield) and went over the Sierra into Lake Isabella. We passed the snow chain control signs and as we climbed, the temp was falling and the snowmelt on the curves was getting slushy. We gassed up about 6 pm and then kept going into Ridgecrest and decided over dinner we were too tired to continue on so got a room at a motel. There was a movie shoot nearby. They had booked every room in the town, but since it was the MLK holiday, the movie crews had gone back to LA for the weekend and we could have the room for one night. That's all we needed...

The next day we stopped at the Trona Pinnacles and marvelled over the moon-like landscape. It was here we discovered the movie set. We didn't know it then, but it was for 'Planet of the Apes'. They mocked up the crashed rocketship, and I got a pic of my bike with the rocket in the background. Look over the top of the helmet on the handlebars at the ragged fins sticking out of the side of the hill. http://www.pbase.com/conestogaman/image/1488512
I also saw my first Joshua trees... http://www.pbase.com/conestogaman/image/1488511

We spent 3 days camped in Death Valley with 75-80 degree weather and drove straight thru with only fuel stops on the way home. Rained for about 250 outta 425 miles with a major accident around Modesto. We lane split for about 5 miles before we got past it. Shut down to 1 lane. I'll never forget that trip even though there were times we were...uncomfortable...

I've already been on 3 banana runs with my bike. I went to Modesto to Jeff Earl's home to get my CA Gold, and I went by Joe Real's home for my Manzano and Zebrina (all doing ok so far guys!). Plus I got 2 pups from my co worker's home. I use my bike more like a packmule sometimes. I've even had 10 bareroot semi-dwarf fruit trees on the back after I ran into a good deal. It's been from LA to Crater Lake and the Sisters.

One day, I'd like to go back to Montana (on my bike, of course). I haven't been there since 1982 when I was living in South Dakota. Then a quick trip over to Utah and the north rim of the 'Canyon' before coming home over 'The Loneliest Road in America' http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/2033/

I'm sure I'll manage to add in a few more banana runs starting with Healdsburg and Golden Gate Park.
My new hero...

Last edited by microfarmer : 01-11-2008 at 11:41 PM.
microfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To microfarmer