View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 06:30 PM   #36 (permalink)
microfarmer
Professional Amateur

Zone: CA zone 9b
Name: Senor Excessivo
BananaBucks : 69,133
Said "Thanks" 624 Times
Was Thanked 208 Times in 106 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: how far apart should they be??

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkcube View Post
at the plantation level density is fairly complex and is base on locality, cultivar, soil type/fertility, plantation health & longevity - once set it is difficult to adjust. for the most part density is determined for maximum bunch production. high densities cause longer crop cycles, smaller bunches with smaller fruit but increase total yield per hectare.
I figured that maximum bunch production was the aim of spacing, but I had no idea that high densities caused longer crop cycles. I guess higher densities create more shade and the plants take longer to mature...and fruit.

Quote:
the numbers i gave above are fairly standard. also considered in the spacing is followers which is typically one, there are exceptions. plus once the bunch is gone from the mother we prune off leaves to give more light to the follower.
Only 1 follower? how do they know which one to keep?

Quote:
Gros Michel is such a robust plant, we still keep a few. it gets up to 14' with a thick stout trunk and a fair leaf spread, might be my favorite dessert banana.
I'd like to try this one. Sounds like it'd be wind tolerant even though it gets so tall. Is it cold tolerant as well or sensitive?

Quote:
we grow plantains for local markets and predominantly grow FHIA-25 which is a semi-dwarf plant but a few Puerto Rican Dwarfs, and some horn types - all 10' or under. most of the ones i see growing are the common dwarf cultivar or a horn variety. off the top of my head i cannot think of the cultivars grown by Bonita & Del Monte, their farms are in Ecuador, probably a horn or French type possibly an FHIA cultivar.

for the home grower that doesn't grow for a big bunch with big fingers plus face space constraints 4ft should be fine. i would think height would not be affected too much until the mat gets thick.
Something I just thought of, How long do they keep the mats on a commercial operation? Do they decline after a certain age?

Thanks!

Jeff
My new hero...
microfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To microfarmer