View Single Post
Old 10-17-2015, 02:48 PM   #25 (permalink)
Sting_stong

Zone: 5b (microclimate 6a)
Name: KJ
BananaBucks : 14,340
Said "Thanks" 61 Times
Was Thanked 85 Times in 20 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 8 Times
Default Re: What do you think of my overwintering method so far? Ottawa, ON

An update on my Ice Cream for summer 2015.

[IMG][/IMG]

After opening up the box, I didn't have much hope for the pstem, but if there's one thing I learned, it's never give up until it's complete mush. And sure enough, a few weeks later I see a leaf spike emerge. Curiously, it came from the pstem that was only protected with fibreglass insulation, while the one that was protected with the heating cable gradually rotted away to nothing. Perhaps because it was closer to the house, it actually had a more stable temperature.

Growth was rapid this year, with 10-12 pups emerging throughout the summer, and the overall height surpassing last year's by a few feet.

[IMG][/IMG]

Overwintering this year will be done differently from the past, because I'm just not willing to build a big enough box to protect the whole pstem. Instead I'll dig it up and store it in a friend's cold storage room. I'll try and get some pictures once that happens.

How big does an IC get before it fruits? I don't think it'll be next summer, but it can't be that far off. But you never know, crazier things have happened.
Sting_stong is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Sting_stong
Said thanks: