View Single Post
Old 07-23-2015, 10:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
a.hulva@coxinet.net

Zone: 73034
Name: Al
BananaBucks : 48,221
Said "Thanks" 3,695 Times
Was Thanked 779 Times in 317 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 437 Times
Smile Re: Fruiting Bananas in North Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylwill View Post
I live in North East Alabama, I'm in zone 7 some maps list zone 71 - C or so I'm not far from the Tennessee line. I bought 5 different banana trees in small pots now. I want to grow them to fruit. As I see it I have several choices. I don't know which would be better.

I could plant them outside facing SW against the house which is white brick. I planed to put some lattes in front of them for the wind, I live on a bluff. In the winter I could put plastic from the ground in front of the lattes and attach a 2x4 on the side of the house and terminate the plastic there and enclose the sides, making a sort of green house. I could also put a lot of mulch on the ground.

Do you think I could get away with this without supplemental heat? If I need heat for 5 trees what do you suggest?

My 2nd choice is to plant them in a large pot. I bought some plastic trash cans 32 gals. I had planed to plant 2 in each pot. I could leave them outside in the summer and bring them in in the winter. Some will be 10-12 ft high so I would have to top them. I have a sun room that's on the same wall. Would topping them interrupt the fruiting? Is 32 gal 2 big for 1 plant should I use a smaller pot? I have seen that 5 gals is enough.

Any help, suggestions, opinions or ideas would be appreciated.
What variety?
a.hulva@coxinet.net is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To a.hulva@coxinet.net