Thread: Praying Hands?
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2015, 08:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
cincinnana
container grower

Zone: HZ 6/5 Microclimate - Elevation 750 feet- 228.60 meters
BananaBucks : 916
Said "Thanks" 3,865 Times
Was Thanked 11,706 Times in 4,870 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,943 Times
Smile Re: Praying Hands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekhmet View Post
I was wondering if it is even possible to get a praying hands to fruit in a container? I'm in zone 9a, but the last couple of years, like everyone else, we've had some wacky winter weather so I'm a little reluctant to stick this guy in the ground. Not sure how cold tolerant it really is, and container gardening just makes my life easier... even if I feel like the world's largest consumer of potting mix.

Old hand at container gardening, still fairly new to naners so I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.
Welcome to the forums...

Praying hands is an awesome plant which I do not grow yet.

You are going to need a container in the 45 gal and up size for that size plant to possibly thrive and produce fruit.

My plants that flower are 24 gallon and up containers; due to my short 170 day-+ grow season that is all I get is a flower and a few inedible bananas...this is a win for me.
In central Florida there a number of growers that have a similiar zone and they have no problems that I know of......But I do not know what they do when it gets in the teens and they are in the ground.

Here is photo of the possible sizes you will need......

Up potting Progression of using larger pots

by Hostafarian,
on Flickr

AS always......Happy Gardening

Last edited by cincinnana : 07-21-2015 at 08:09 PM.
cincinnana is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To cincinnana
Said thanks: