View Single Post
Old 06-08-2015, 02:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
MargaretYakoda

Zone: 9a
BananaBucks : 2,823
Said "Thanks" 17 Times
Was Thanked 23 Times in 8 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 5 Times
Default Re: So... I bought a banana...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarkie View Post
Welcome to the forum. I'm not good at recognizing nanners yet, but if it said both Local and hardy, chances are it was already growing in your area, and that should narrow it to Musa basjoo or Mekong giant, the latter having more red like yours, but someone here will be able to ID it for you.

I don't think that putting it in the chicken yard is going to do much that you can't do with the right soil mix and fertilizer. Why don't you put it out in the yard where you and your neighbors can all enjoy it?
Ha ha.. yeah... We have Jersey Giants, and they're some massive and beautiful birds. We've got the chicken yard right next to the house... Because we're nuts like that. I can see this banana from my living room window right now.

The rest of the yard has apples and walnuts out in the back, and the front has blueberries, raspberries, and medlar trees. The only place left to garden is in the chicken yard... Which is tricky, but do-able. You just need enough hardware cloth.
MargaretYakoda is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To MargaretYakoda
Said thanks: