View Single Post
Old 06-05-2015, 12:44 PM   #32 (permalink)
emeoba69

BananaBucks : 344
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Potting soil advice (newbie)

Question. Ive searched with the search function but haven't found any replies. Sorry if this is a retread/

I recently have been using what's known as "Al's Gritty Mix" for my succulents, Aloe and Jades mostly. It contains and equal mix of Granite grit, Turface, and pine bark fines. He suggest adding Foliage Pro as an amendment. Here's a link to someone speaking with him about it when making the soilless mix for some container lemon trees:

Al's Gritty Mix -- A Learning Experinece

I was wondering if this would be a good mix, at least in part, for container banana trees? I have plenty of peat moss and perlite for the soil mix recommended here a lot. But I have a lot of the gritty mix ingredients laying around and wondered if maybe adding 50% gritty mix/50% peat moss: perlite (or what ever might make a good ratio) would be good for fast draining? Ive seen plenty suggestions that use cactus mix, which this really is minus any sand.

Ive also used Al's 5-1-1 mix for my tomatoes and peppers. Which is 5 parts pine fines and one part peat moss and perlite each. Anyone suggest this?

I just got a banana tree from my great uncle and would like to pot up from the 5 gallon he gave me to 15. I do not know the species.

What says everyone?

Last edited by emeoba69 : 06-05-2015 at 12:47 PM.
emeoba69 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To emeoba69