View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 12:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
jbclem

Zone: 9b
BananaBucks : 39,031
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Potassium sulfate any good to use?

I've been reading here about bananas needing fertilizers with high potassium numbers (15-5-30, etc...). I haven't seen any such fertilizers at the local nurseries, big box stores, so I thought I could add some potassium sulfate to my normal fertilization routine. Just like I sometimes add epson salts. I'm not sure what this has to do with changing the pH...is potassium sulfate acidic like ammonium sulfate is? Is that what you're referring to?

About pH meters, I think the ones I would trust the least would be the $10 ones from Home Depot. I've had them but the results have always been variable. Worse, I never know which result is accurate. Same with test strips, I've used el cheepo ones, and el better ones. Results vary also. To make sense of this, what I need is an accurate test solution(s) to use as a standard, then I can see which pH meters are accurate and consistent enough to use. Also, the methods used are important...do you mix the soil sample with distilled water or with tap water (is your tap water high or low pH?). Do you clean the probe first, and what do you clean the probe with (4000 grit sandpaper, special expensive probe cleaning material, your wet greasy fingers?).

But back to potassium sulfate...is anyone using it as an add-on fertilizer for banana plants?

Last edited by jbclem : 03-30-2015 at 12:07 AM.
jbclem is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To jbclem
Said thanks: