View Single Post
Old 03-23-2015, 05:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
fwtexasmusic

BananaBucks : 13,606
Said "Thanks" 10 Times
Was Thanked 38 Times in 13 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Exclamation Any tips for 1st time banana grower...

First timer here, love the forum and happy to be a member!

I just planted 10 bananas - 6 in pots and 4 in-ground. See my pics attached.

Planted in containers with a mix of 1/3 aerating potting soil, 1/3 cow manurecompost, and 1/3 perlite with a top coating of peat humus and mulch covering that.

Planted in ground with a 1/4 mix of flower vegatable aerating soil, 1/4 clay topsoil from the hole, and 1/4 mix of cow manure/compost with about 1/4 perlite and with a top coating of cowmanure compost. Thanks to the forum for all the tips.

My first question is watering. Day 1 I gave them all a thorough deep watering. Temperature so far this week is ranging from 65-80F during day with tons of sun and at night around 50-60F.

It is day 2 today and I was not planning on watering. Temp today was in the mid 70s F.

Would tomorrow Day 3 or Day 4 be better to give it another throrough deep watering?

Also it is gonna dip into the 40's around Day 6 thru Day 7. I plant to cover the plants with some blankets tented up over the little dudes, so hopefully they survive.

Any tips and tricks would be appreciated. They came with 2 little fertilizer sticks from GreenEarth farms in Florida where I got them. Those are in ground now.

When would be a good time to do some additional fertilizer?

Also what is your recommendation for a normal watering schedule? This is zone 8 in Texas and it gets hot here pretty quick.

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks so much!

Last edited by fwtexasmusic : 03-23-2015 at 05:22 PM. Reason: edit
fwtexasmusic is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To fwtexasmusic
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors