View Single Post
Old 02-13-2015, 11:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
BlueJava79
Musa Afficionado

Zone: 10
Name: Chris
BananaBucks : 1,480
Said "Thanks" 3 Times
Was Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Help! My banana is putting out a flower...

Quote:
Originally Posted by merce3 View Post
so how do you explain someone like rmplmnz? he's in 9a/b and has killer bananas year after year (hawaiians, reds, etc.). there's always people, like my local master gardener friends, that tell me it's impossible to grow mangoes and other tropicals/subtropicals in 9a-b, yet i've seen mango trees growing here and further northeast in orlando, where tampa bay and the gulf of mexico don't moderate the air temps.

imo it's all about what you're willing to do to protect your plants (proper location, mulching, microsprayers, and when needed frost cloth with a good heat source). i won't say that it's not a gamble, but it's definitely worth a shot for the potential reward. just my .02.
Yeah no kidding. Back when I was looking to grow my first coconut, many people told me they didn't grow above Fort Myers. I grew mine in Clearwater for 2 years before I dug it up and brought it with me to my new home. There are quit a few around tampa bay but there are so few compared to the palms we are used to seeing so they are easily missed. At least that's my theory.

What I'd like to know is why the Royal palms all disappeared, and with it being such a majestic and indigenous palm, is it not our state tree?
BlueJava79 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To BlueJava79