View Single Post
Old 02-13-2015, 10:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
nph

Zone: 8
BananaBucks : 217,043
Said "Thanks" 22 Times
Was Thanked 365 Times in 173 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 3 Times
Default Re: Help! My banana is putting out a flower...

Hi

Sure I will post a picture tomorrow. They sure are heavy I have to use a wheelbarrow and use help from my wife to get them on the wheelbarrow. But it is the big ones that has the best chance of producing a flower and stock early enough so it will ripen before the first frost.
Neither my Brazilian nor the Mona Lisa (this one was hopeless I had to dig it up twice before it bloomed and still it was too late in the season so I never got a chance to taste it). Needless to say I don't plant that variety any more. Orinoco does really great and like Nam Wah if the winter is mild it can survive. For the really large ones that I simply can't dig up I wrap in frost cloth and hope for a mild winter and if so they are the first to bloom.
I skipped the Orinoco as well since I didn't like the texture too much on it and the leaves tended to get pest on them.
Still hoping for a Brazilian to bloom and fruit early enough to have time to ripen and I also have a Rajapuri and Gold finger that might produce in 2016. Problem is if they are TC then one season is need to just grow them big enough and then store them. But the majority of my plants are Nam Wah, great banana and great frost tolerance. This year I have a big Sweetheart that has potential to bloom this spring/early summer if I am lucky and I just love the look of that banana due to the beautiful leaves.
nph is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To nph
Said thanks: