View Single Post
Old 02-13-2015, 09:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
merce3

Zone: 9b
BananaBucks : 69,008
Said "Thanks" 1,093 Times
Was Thanked 1,107 Times in 382 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 257 Times
Default Re: Help! My banana is putting out a flower...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
You are experiencing the timing of fruit vs the timing of your winter. It is not a problem in the tropics, but as we move away from there it becomes a conundrum. Experienced growers who want the "winter flower" to produce in colder climates are prepared with appropriate light sources (1200 Watts of 6400-6500 Kelvin fluorescent bulbs). Some people in borderline climates (USDA 9a-10b) try to overwinter the bunch to health. What I've read on this site from growers is that that latter doesn't work and the former is sometimes successful. I'm here in 10b. If one of my plants flowered in November I'd probably whack off the pstem at the base and cultivate a pup. If it flowered in February through July I'd be thrilled. From August to October it would depend a lot on cultivar.
so how do you explain someone like rmplmnz? he's in 9a/b and has killer bananas year after year (hawaiians, reds, etc.). there's always people, like my local master gardener friends, that tell me it's impossible to grow mangoes and other tropicals/subtropicals in 9a-b, yet i've seen mango trees growing here and further northeast in orlando, where tampa bay and the gulf of mexico don't moderate the air temps.

imo it's all about what you're willing to do to protect your plants (proper location, mulching, microsprayers, and when needed frost cloth with a good heat source). i won't say that it's not a gamble, but it's definitely worth a shot for the potential reward. just my .02.