View Single Post
Old 02-12-2015, 11:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
nph

Zone: 8
BananaBucks : 217,006
Said "Thanks" 22 Times
Was Thanked 365 Times in 173 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 3 Times
Default Help! My banana is putting out a flower...

I usually store my banans in the garage over winter, some in pots but the large ones I dig up and store bare root on the floor leaning toward the wall (for those considering doing this trust me do not have them horizontal since that is to invite rotm just won't work I have tried numerous time with no success, they need to be standing up).
Anyway one of my best growing bananas, Nam Wah wonderful variety I have a few big ones, four to be exact standing against the wall but to my surprise the second largest one (five feet high p-stem) had put out a leaf and not only that but a flower is also coming up.
What do I do? Don't think I can wait another 4 weeks for replanting outside when last frost is hopefully over. Also with just one leaf can it really sustain a banana stock? Last time a plant bloomed right after putting out a leaf outside it collapsed under its own weight of the stock.

I need advice, take a chance and let it remain bare root and hope for the best or, what I am leaning toward, put in a pot in the garage so I can drag it out with the other pots during warm days and just protect during frost.

But can I realistically expect that it can sustain these bananas with just one leaf?
Please give me some advice so I can plant it in a pot tomorrow if that is the general advice.

I love that it will flower but if only it had done it in April a few weeks after I replanted it and it had grown 2 -3 leaves it would have produced wonderful fruit in August. Usually my plants that flower in July produce by Oct/Nov. Nam Wahs, that is. Despite several years trying my Brazilian never blooms until Sept/Oct so have not been able to get any eatable fruit from them yet.
My Viente Cohol for the second try died in the pot over winter, even inside the house!

Thanks
nph is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To nph

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors