View Single Post
Old 02-08-2015, 07:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
husker18

BananaBucks : 1,796
Said "Thanks" 1 Times
Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Rot issues on garage stored plants

I have three plants stored in garage. They are in 20" pots. The last few weeks I have been succumbed with mold and rot. The mold is white filaments on the upper and bottom stem and the rot is black on the bottom of the stem and corm. I have kept my watering very minimal. Also treated with sestemic fungi and insecti in november.

In one case the stem was rotten and just toppled over, the other I am noticing the corm was soft and black and just sorta collapsed. The last plant is a basjoo and was my biggest and seems to be holding the least amount of moisture and so far surviving best with no signs of rot or mold.

I am not concerned yet with the basjoo, but the other two which are a Texas star and gold finger. Currently the two latter are without stems and the corms are rotting. They both have water and sword suckers holding strong with green leaves.

My question. Should I seperate the suckers and repot them and to grow in a sunny window till spring? If the corm rots, will it take the suckerS with it? I am just trying to save them. Luckily, I seperated one sucker last fall and put in my office and it is doing great. Just trying to save as many as possible.

This is my second year. First year bananas died too. Even in failure I still love growing them. Third times the charm hopefully.

Any ideas on the rescue. I am in Indiana so spring is 3 months away.
husker18 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To husker18

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors