Thread: Never ripened
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2015, 01:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
crazy banana

Zone: 9-11
BananaBucks : 1,226
Said "Thanks" 3,021 Times
Was Thanked 2,961 Times in 1,115 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,990 Times
Default Re: Never ripened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Let me temper crazy_bananas response a bit:

You are in De Land, Florida which has a different environment than where crazy_banana (and I) live -- and is significantly closer to the tropic zones. The winters are similar but the other seasons are warmer and a lot more humid -- which induces more heat to the plants, rather than draining heat as we experience here with lower humidity.

In general I agree with crazy_banana that you removed your fruit too early, but the six to ten month "hang time" is not necessary in your area. Please consult with other members living in the Orlando area for better advice on your cultivar.
Even in a tropical environment most banana bunches will probably take longer to fill in and ripen than just three month.
A banana bunch that has shown its first hand in USDA growing zone 9A in fall with average low temperatures between 63 F in October and 47F in December (I am referring to the US climate data website) will simply take longer.
Some varieties will also take longer to fill in and ripen than others. Saba is known for that and one of my Blue Java bunches has taken 10 month last year (first hand showed in October). Jlprintz photo shows a Raja Puri or Dwarf Brazilian, which I am not aware of taking that long, but bottom line, why cutting a bunch if it is not properly filled in or does not show any signs of ripeness?
crazy banana is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To crazy banana
Said thanks: