View Single Post
Old 01-15-2015, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
abrasivesounds

BananaBucks : 1,902
Said "Thanks" 2 Times
Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Winter is killing my Dwarf Cavendish, please help!

New to the forum, supppp!

I bought a baby dwarf cavendish back in May of 2014, and everything was going great until the last two weeks. I live in Chicago, and the weather has been getting in the 0-20 degree range, and I have trouble keeping my room above 60.

I separated an 8" pup from the mother, but in doing so exposed the mother and pup to 20 degree weather. A week later, the pup is practically dead. The root system separated from the up, and I'm left with two outer layers of p-stem and a dead leaf in the center. I'm not sure if it's possible to re-root at this point...if so, would it be better to water root or dip in hormone powder?

The other issue is that the mother is starting to get sick as well. I'm not sure if it has root rot, but some of the roots definitely have black tips. I lost two leaves within a two day period, and I'm getting a lot of yellow/brown edges.

Is there any way to identify what might be wrong with the root system? If something is wrong, how can I fix this? I'm putting the DC back in cactus soil, to let it try out. At that point, I don't know if I should fertilize it, or give it some rest.

I would really appreciate any help

Pup root. I cut off the base, put on hormone powder (the white stuff in the picture, not mold), and have alternated water rooting and soil rooting. I'm not sure what to do with this.

Here's the whole pup. Can anything be done with this?

Here's the mother. My concern is the leaves are dying very rapidly, and the new leaves have the brown edges.

Some of the roots look alive/alright:

But, some of the roots are half shriveled / black:

Here are the roots:

Last edited by abrasivesounds : 01-15-2015 at 10:45 PM.
abrasivesounds is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To abrasivesounds

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors