View Single Post
Old 11-18-2014, 10:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
siege2050
Hobby obsessor maximus

Zone: zone 7
BananaBucks : 361,543
Said "Thanks" 854 Times
Was Thanked 1,295 Times in 614 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 85 Times
Default Re: Christmas lights, frost cloth, how to keep them alive in unheated greenhouse.

Well, I get too sleepy to do an hour by hour lol, but my thermometer records the lowest temps reached for that night. Also being unheated, I dont open the door very often to check, it lets out heat that is not getting replenished. Last night the thermometer got down to 32F a few inches under the leaves, so ice on some of the plastic from frozen condensation, but not where there were Christmas lights. But I got no leaf damage on a variety of plants. A few cannas, a dwarf cavendish(just to see what wil happen), lemon grass, mandevilla, bird of paradise, shell ginger, etc. But it got very, very close, must have been a bit warmer a few more inches down. I am sure the frost cover and mylar will do a much better job of insulation than the leaves, I cannot cover very well with them, and there are holes in the coverage. Still, around 20 degrees is a pretty good difference in temps with no heat, but I would not recommend trying it lol. Until I get this stove fixed, I am going to have to make the best of it. All my other bananas except for the basjoo (Sikkimensis, black thai, itinerans, velutina, zebrina, namwah are all crammed into one of my bedrooms until I can figure this out lol. I had dug them all because they were all about 3 or 4 feet tall, and I wanted to get some height on them over the winter in the greenhouse, bad mistake lol. All my Orinoco ranging from 6 to 10 feet of pstem , and my ensetes are under the house. And I am considering throwing the sikkimensis, and itinerans under there too, just worried about them being smaller, and not making it till warmer weather. I grew the sikki from seed, and I dont want to lose them, its too hard to get replacements.

If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any Banana pudding! How can you have any Banana pudding if you don't eat yer meat?!

Click for weather forecast
siege2050 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To siege2050