View Single Post
Old 11-18-2014, 06:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
siege2050
Hobby obsessor maximus

Zone: zone 7
BananaBucks : 361,598
Said "Thanks" 854 Times
Was Thanked 1,295 Times in 614 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 85 Times
Default Re: Christmas lights, frost cloth, how to keep them alive in unheated greenhouse.

It got down to 12F last night, and to my surprise, everything survived under just a layer of leaves, and leftover greenhouse plastic with small bulb christmas lights underneath in the single layer greenhouse. I was sure they were goners, It got close as the condensation was frozen under the leftover plastic except where the christmas lights were. Now that I know it can go so low and stuff stays alive, I am going to order the frost blanket, and a roll of reflective mylar (space blanket) to go over the lights to keep heat in. I think stuff might actually survive down to 0F outside while in the greenhouse with this extra protection. This might not work in a smaller greenhouse where the temperatures are less stable. I am also going to get more christmas lights, the thawed sections of the plastic proves the need for them. Also if you have naners in pots, you might try laying them down closer to the ground for warmth and covering. I will probably chop all my ornamental naners down to pot level to make covering easier next year.A thermometer I lay on the ground under the leaves shows the ground surface temps in the greenhouse stay about 44F even when it got down to 12F outside. C9 lights are a big no no under all that stuff, I can just see a fire.

If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any Banana pudding! How can you have any Banana pudding if you don't eat yer meat?!

Click for weather forecast

Last edited by siege2050 : 11-18-2014 at 06:31 PM.
siege2050 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To siege2050
Said thanks: