View Single Post
Old 10-25-2014, 07:47 PM   #2254 (permalink)
robguz24
Rob

Zone: 11
Name: Rob
BananaBucks : 261,571
Said "Thanks" 1,320 Times
Was Thanked 4,961 Times in 1,080 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 204 Times
Default Re: What is blooming in your garden today (other plants)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
A past neighbor of mine is an asst. director of research at the LA Jolla Neurological institute. In the Annona family, we figured that it was safe to eat 7 sugar apples per year, OR 5 cherimoyas per year, OR 2 soursops per year. Beyond that is a gamble. At 4 times those dosages for 3 or more years it is fairly certain you will have detectable symptoms - at least in a thorough physical.

But the Annonas paw-paw and atemoya do not carry these risks. The drug concentrate in the flesh of these fruits is 2% to 5% of cherimoya. You could eat around 200 a year and still be below most risk factors.
Fascinating. I have an atemoya tree, which I love, and a soursop which I freeze and eat if I can't sell it. I guess I'll keep eating the atemoya!

The idea that soursop is used in cancer treatment is not correct. There are compounds that could have an anti-cancer effect in very limited circumstances in a lab setting. But that is a far cry from being an actual treatment. The vast majority of treatments that seem promising in the lab fail to even get to Phase II clinical trials. A woman I know started drinking massive amounts of soursop juice when she got diagnosed with small cell lung cancer last year. She's dead of course. It's sad when people forgo proven treatments in order to try something they saw on a fraudulent Facebook meme.
robguz24 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To robguz24
Said thanks: