View Single Post
Old 10-25-2014, 09:30 AM   #19 (permalink)
PR-Giants
Commercial Grower

BananaBucks : 2,531
Said "Thanks" 2,915 Times
Was Thanked 12,585 Times in 3,665 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 3,212 Times
Default Re: Identification for FHIA banana

Mark, why are you focusing on the data that is of least relevance to you and other hobbyists?

Your backyard is NOT a commercial farm, and your growing practices are very different.

If you're using any compost or mulch, you can expect even better results.

KEYS

Cycle times -
Very Important

Ratoon Bunch Size - Very Important

Plant Crop - Not Very Important, only happens once

Eventually you'll start growing the Embrapa line, which is much better suited for the hobby trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venturabananas View Post
The fast cycle is definitely a plus, and makes me think that what I bought from Going Bananas is not FHIA-02, or my subtropical climate is very different from the Australian one where this study was done. That one is one of the slowest I have. Even with the fast cycle in this study, the smaller than average bunch made FHIA-02 one of the two least productive (tons/ha/yr) of the FHIA cultivars they tried. (For anyone else is is following this thread -- anyone? -- the other low production one was FHIA-18. FHIA-01 and FHIA-17 were the most productive of the FHIA cultivars in both the Plant Crop and Ratoon cycles. The non-FHIA Williams, the industry standard in Australia was as or more productive that the best FHIA ones.)

The comment about SH-3640 is interesting.

PR-Giants Photo Gallery

15,000+ Varieties

PR-Giants is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To PR-Giants
Said thanks: