Thread: I'm lost...
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2014, 08:30 PM   #21 (permalink)
hanabananaman

Zone: 9-10
Name: Larry
BananaBucks : 46,605
Said "Thanks" 230 Times
Was Thanked 143 Times in 68 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 183 Times
Default Re: I'm lost...

I live in zone 9b and have a Mahoi bought as a TC almost 2 years ago it has struggled in the cold and lost its leaves. I have a dwarf Cavendish which is related to Mahoi and it also struggled in the cold. I am planning on dumping those 2. My Namwa has done much better in the cold and produced 2 bunches already. Unless you live in an ideal climate or have a heated greenhouse you should not plan on regular food production with bananas. Many things can and do go wrong, my Namwa had a bunch blown down by wind several weeks too soon. They ripened eventually but were not as good as they could be. I am going to get a Veinte Cohol because it can produce a bunch quickly and it is not very tall so wind will be less of a problem. You will need a very sunny spot and hope you get a flower early enough in the year so it can fill out before a freeze, a rather tall order in your climate.
You must also drop the drama if you want people to help you. You say that you will soon be graduating, well the real world is much nastier than the gentle prods you have received here. There is a ton of info to be found here, do some searches with your topics and then ask questions to fill in the gaps. No one wants to repeat info that is readily available.
Good Luck

Last edited by hanabananaman : 10-03-2014 at 09:25 PM.
hanabananaman is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To hanabananaman
Said thanks: