View Single Post
Old 12-22-2007, 09:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
mskitty38583
banana junkie

Zone: 7b
Name: mskitty
BananaBucks : 189,590
Said "Thanks" 82 Times
Was Thanked 890 Times in 617 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 136 Times
Default Re: Rooting plants from cuttings . . .

the banana tree.com has them beachgirl,( id rather get mine from logos, you know what youll get) if logos cant locate one. they have the seeds i believe. thank you for the use full info. i have been rooting christmas cactus and they are great( you know who you are) i figure a few more weeks and they will be on their way. yes you can say horray! i rooteded mine in water 7-10 days. then put them in 'nana' dirt, and didnt water for one week, because of the water storage. now my sedum, i just layed the extra leaves on top of the dirt, and just put VERY little dirt over the cut ends and ive had everyone of them root. thats for those who want to root you more sedum. and i have found a way to ' cheat' when it comes to rooting woody stemmed plants. and logos is right do not leave very many leaves on the plant. he is right about cutting the leaves not pulling them off. however this is how i root my willow trees, corkscrewillows and a few others like certian roses, and logos please dont choke... cut a good, thick sturdy limb, branch, piece of rose bush, what ever you are tyring to root. cut all the excess leaves off. leave a few at the top so the plant can breath. on the cut end you can either score the wood 2-6 inches up the wood, or mash the end with a hammer. i have done this tons of times and it does work. place it in a 1 gallon clean pickle jar with warm tap water and place it in the shade where it will get filtered light. change the water 1 time a week and in 2- 4 months you will have roots. i just gave away a corkscrew willow tree that i had rooted this way and the roots were so massive i had to jocky the roots out of the jar.i also rooted wild rose bushes this way. my friends thought i was cracked till they saw the root system on them. just my 2 cents on how i snag branches from trees and make my own.

mskitty38583 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To mskitty38583
Said thanks: