View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
BCEStudent

BananaBucks : 2,130
Said "Thanks" 4 Times
Was Thanked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Hello, I am currently writing a paper on genetically modified bananas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR-Giants View Post
In the 2006 study one showed some resistance, but not resistant. I believe it was classified as slowly susceptible, while the others were classified as susceptible.
I think I know what you are talking about. I found an LA times article that says the following:

Quote:
Uganda is also where the first African field trials for genetically modified bananas took place, starting in 2007. (People in Uganda eat almost a kilo of bananas a day, so it’s a very important food crop.)

The trials were done under carefully controlled field conditions, Kiggundu said, and the bananas showed some limited resistance to black sigatoka in the field, with slower disease progression than regular bananas. But the scientists need the plants to do better. They are going back to the drawing board and rejiggering their technology in the hope that they’ll see improved resistance.
Apparently these bananas were engineered to have a rice gene which coded for a protein that destroyed fungal cell walls.

Quote:
Their bunches are small and are not considered for commercial production.
Small because of the disease, or small somehow due to the genetic modification. If it is the latter, I am quite confused. I cannot understand why adding a gene to code for a specific protein would affect fruit size.

Quote:
I haven't read the 2013 trials yet, but last I knew only the FHIA-25 is a resistant plant crop and FHIA-01, 18, & 25 have resistant ratoon crops.
I am having trouble finding information on these crops. Are these genetically modified?
BCEStudent is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To BCEStudent
Said thanks: