View Single Post
Old 06-26-2014, 07:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pancrazio

Zone: 8b-9a
BananaBucks : 61,843
Said "Thanks" 187 Times
Was Thanked 258 Times in 107 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 11 Times
Default Re: Recommend me some Bananas that store bare root.

Personally I have had a positive experience with dwarf namwah. I mean, it survived and started growing again after 4 months of bare roots.
However, I must add this;
I got two DN plants to see if my plant would have done better in pot or bare rooted during winter and compare the results. I uprooted the plant for the pot in the beginning of september last year, and the plant to be stored bare root in november.
I replanted them in the same day in full ground this spring. The potted one, even if it was in a very small pot (pot diameter 28 cm, pstem diameter 7 cm) and kept in a unheated greenhouse with lower temperatures did recover extremly quickly in spring. Now it has 5 new leaves (grown since the planting) where the bare rooted on is putting outside now just its second leave.

I must add that i got a pretty cold spring with maximum temperatures of about 20°C, so the potted plant could have had an advantage in this by having avoided to regrow its root system during some months with low temperatures.

So far, keeping it not completly bare rooted if you want a quick spring growth seems a good idea (but you need of course a place where store a potted plant). If you want to bare root it, take in account that they will require a good amount of time before taking off, expecially if your spring is cold.

Edit: One more thing. Plant that haven't attained a certain size don't store well. Try to avoid storing anything smaller than 120 cm. I can't tell for bigger plants because i haven't tried yet but a 80 cm dwarf namwah which i stored bare root in 2011 died to the corm.

Italian fruit forum

Last edited by Pancrazio : 06-26-2014 at 07:53 PM. Reason: size limitation to storing plants.
Pancrazio is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Pancrazio
Said thanks:
Sponsors