View Single Post
Old 06-24-2014, 09:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
frankielove

Zone: 6
Name: Emilee
BananaBucks : 10,376
Said "Thanks" 28 Times
Was Thanked 25 Times in 14 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 5 Times
Default first year basjoo, what to expect?

I bought a musa basjoo this spring from a catalog. It was very small when it arrived. I believe it was what everyone refers to as a tissue culture. It's healthy and growing albeit very slowly. It's about a foot tall now. It's in full sun with my giant sunflowers. (What a contrast, right? ) A few weeks ago, I started giving it banana fuel. How big can it get the first year? Is 4 or 5 feet too much to ask for?

I'm in Michigan, zone 6a. Like many others, we had a brutal winter. I lost a few plants that I had planted last summer that were definitely hardy for my zone. I just think they didn't get established in time. So I'm probably bringing the basjoo inside this year to be safe. I'd hate to start all over again.
frankielove is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To frankielove
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors