View Single Post
Old 06-16-2014, 06:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Pancrazio

Zone: 8b-9a
BananaBucks : 62,212
Said "Thanks" 187 Times
Was Thanked 258 Times in 107 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 11 Times
Default Re: Should i put it in the ground now ?

I strongly advice against leaving in the ground during winter, despite your (apparent) USDA zone. I haven't even tried leaving the mine in ground in winter and I'm definitively in an hotter place than yours. The problem is as you already know, the cold damp soil.
To be perfectly honest, I'm even unsure about putting it in the ground in summer. I have been in normandie about 15 years ago, so i may not recall well but I remembered the summer as pretty cold up there. Now, this isn't a problem by itself - as long as the plant grow, the big problem is that everything is really slowed down. Plants grow really well in full ground during summer, but after you pot them for the winter they stop for recovering for about a month for me (possibly more in a colder environment). So the time gained in growing them in ground should be > than the time lost at the end of the summer (for the potting stress) to have a net gain.
Moreover, plants in ground become bigger and harder do store for winter (but i admit that i don't know your setup).
Growing in pot you can, instead, take advantage of all your growing season.
I would do as follows: try to grow them in pot, then as soon as you have your first pup make some experiments.
Or do some experiments now - it's unlikely you will kill your plant, but also it's unlikely that you'll see the good result that some people have here with their plant in ground.

Italian fruit forum
Pancrazio is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Pancrazio
Said thanks: